
Michael Hussey could find himself on the opposite side of the Ashes rivalry next year, with the former Australia batter open to joining England's coaching staff for their 2027 series against Australia.
Hussey has been approached by England Test coach Stephen Fleming about a possible batting coach role. The two have shared a long association through Chennai Super Kings, and Fleming's appointment has now opened the door for Hussey to work with England.
Stephen Fleming approached Michael Hussey for England coach role
Former Australia Test batter Michael Hussey is considering the possibility of joining Stephen Fleming's England coaching staff for the Ashes next year.
Stephen Fleming reportedly contacted Michael Hussey less than a week after being appointed England's red-ball coach, asking whether he would be interested in becoming the team's batting coach. While there has been no formal offer from the England and Wales Cricket Board, Hussey is understood to be among Fleming's preferred options for the role.
The potential reunion would be particularly interesting given their long association with Chennai Super Kings. Fleming and Hussey were together at CSK from the inaugural IPL season in 2008, with Fleming eventually becoming the franchise's head coach and Hussey later taking up coaching responsibilities.
The pair were part of the CSK setup as recently as IPL 2026, continuing a relationship that has lasted over a decade. Michael Hussey is currently coaching Welsh Fire in The Hundred and has yet to make a final decision on whether he wants to pursue the England role.
If he does take up the position, Hussey would be preparing Australia’s biggest rivals for an Ashes series 14 years after making his final appearance for Australia. He has already worked with England once, helping them win the 2022 T20 World Cup.
Stephen Fleming, meanwhile, will take charge of England's Test side from their three-Test tour of South Africa in December. Marcus Trescothick is serving as interim coach for the ongoing Pakistan series.
My short answer is I would not say no to anything really - Michael Hussey on becoming England coach
Michael Hussey has not ruled out the possibility of joining England, although he admitted there are several factors he needs to consider before making a decision.
Speaking to Fox Sports News, the former Australia batter explained that his passion for coaching means he would not immediately reject Fleming's approach.
"There is a lot of different things to consider. My short answer is I would not say no to anything really," Hussey said.
"I love the coaching side of the game. I love trying to help players get better whether they are Australians, English, South Africans, Pakistan or India or anywhere, it does not bother me."
Hussey also acknowledged that coaching England against Australia in an Ashes series would feel unusual, but insisted he would remain focused on his responsibilities if he accepted the role.
"It would feel a bit weird, definitely, coaching for England against Australia in an Ashes series, no question," Hussey said.
"But if that is your job and that is what you are doing you just get on with it. I don't feel as if I am coaching against a team. That's the thing. I sort of feel as if I am coaching with a team whether it is against Australia or South Africa or some other team."
I have a very close relationship with Stephen Fleming - Michael Hussey
Michael Hussey is in no rush to make a decision, with his relationship with Fleming and the time required away from his family among the factors he is considering.
"I won't be rushing into a decision. I have a very close relationship with Stephen Fleming and that has an impact on it as well. The time away from family is a real thing for me," he said.
Michael Hussey also backed Fleming to bring a fresh approach to England following Brendon McCullum's tenure. He believes Fleming can retain England's attacking mindset while bringing more control to their approach. He stated:
"He has a very good understanding of the game. Very shrewd operator who gets that balance between enjoyment and fun and relationships."
"He wants to keep the game moving forward but perhaps not as recklessly as England have been recently. He will try and be a bit smarter with it."
from Cricket Addictor https://ift.tt/wTSqXUg